Barney Colored Elementary School was part of the Rosenwald school building program that matched funds from philanthropist Julius Rosenwald with community donations to build rural southern schools during the era of segregation.
An example of a "community school plan," included two large classrooms with one bank of six windows in each classroom, along with two sliding partition doors to accommodate larger school and community gatherings, and one industrial room with one bank of four windows. This architectural structure combined a progressive-era design with emphasis on lighting and ventilation. Educator Booker T. Washington, president Tuskegee Institute sought funds from philanthropist Julius Rosenwald to build schools with a focus on community development and industrial training for rural African American children.
The Barney school operated from 1933 to 1959, serving first through sixth grade students. It was one of six Rosenwald Schools in Brooks County. Barney served as a feeder school to the Morven Rosenwald schools, located in Morven, Georgia. In 2006, the Morven Rosenwald Alumni Association, Inc. is 501 c-3 not for profit organization.
The Morven Rosenwald Alumni Association is a 501 c-3 not for profit organization. As a group we commit to: